Scroll to top

Motor Vehicle Accident Rehabilitation Mount Dennis Weston TorontoMotor Vehicle Accident Rehabilitation

We have extensive experience handling all types of automobile accident injuries and in addition to helping with pain relief, we can also help complete all of the tedious paperwork for you.

At Mount Dennis Weston Physiotherapy and Chiropractic Centre, we are well aware of the physical, emotional and mental stress that can be associated with a motor vehicle accident. Not only can there be a great deal of pain, lost time at work, and high levels of stress, but the paperwork related to the insurance claims can be daunting, frustrating and complicated. You can rest assured that our healthcare team can help you with the entire insurance claim process, starting with our physiotherapy, chiropractic and massage therapy treatments, to helping you fill out all the paperwork. We will take the time to answer any questions you may have and can coordinate with your insurance company directly on your behalf. Our healthcare team is able to tailor treatment plans based on the patient’s individual needs and specific health goals. Most motor vehicle rehabilitation programs last for 12 weeks, but this may vary depending on the nature of any pre-existing conditions. We can prepare a course of therapy to focus on a quick and speedy recovery with manual therapy, active therapy, and a home-based exercise program. Our goal is to get you back to your pre-accident status as quickly as possible.

About Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries

After a patient is involved in a motor vehicle accident (MVA), the most common conditions that we treat are: neck pain, lower back pain, shoulder pain and headaches. The most prevalent injury we see is whiplash associated disorder (WAD). The muscles typically involved in WAD are the neck and upper back muscles and ligaments, which includes the upper trapezius, rhomboids and levator scapulae (the muscles between the shoulder blades). Whiplash injuries can also lead to poor sleep, jaw pain, ear pain, and potentially blurry vision.

If I Get into a Car Accident, What Should I do Next?

  1. If it is safe to do so, record as many details as possible. Take pictures of all vehicles with your cell phone and take a picture of everyone’s license plates and insurance information. Make sure to record the time of day and the name of the road or intersection.

If the police and ambulance arrive at the scene, they will most likely record all this information as well, which would be available after via a police report.

  1. When you are home or in a safe place, call your insurance company and let them know what happened.
  2. Also when at home, it is best to apply ice (not heat) to the affected and sore areas.
  3. Call your family doctor and book an appointment right away for a full assessment. It is also important to call and book in with a physiotherapist or chiropractor as soon as possible. Note: you do not need to wait to get a medical doctor’s referral in order to begin physiotherapy and chiropractic care. You are entitled to start rehabilitation as soon as possible.

If the Accident was My Fault, am I still Allowed to Get Treatment?

Yes, you would still be entitled to treatment. In Ontario, it doesn’t matter who is at fault, everyone may receive rehabilitation under basic car insurance plans. Even if the injuries appear minor in nature, you would be entitled to 12 weeks minimum of physiotherapy, chiropractic, and massage therapy as per the current standard.

What are Less Common Symptoms or Injuries From a Car Accident?

Less common, yet important, symptoms that we see are: ringing in the ears (tinnitus), pain or difficulty swallowing (due to neck muscle swelling), bruising and decrease in appetite. Nightmares and flashbacks from an accident are normal occurrences.

Following a collision, pain may set in 1-3 days after the incident occurred instead of starting immediately. This may be attributed to an initial large burst of adrenaline – mixed with shock and high stress – that could potentially mask symptoms of pain at the onset

What Services Should I Ask For?

After a car accident, in general, we typically recommend physiotherapy and chiropractic care, massage therapy, acupuncture, and psychological counseling. At Mount Dennis Weston Physiotherapy and Chiropractic Centre, we are able to coordinate all of these services for you. For psychological counseling, we can arrange therapy in-person or virtual sessions. In addition, we can arrange for referrals to medical specialists if required, such as to concussion specialists or chronic pain specialists. Further, we can recommend and provide certain devices that may aid in pain management, such as orthopedic pillows, back supports, braces and exercise equipment intended for home use.

What Else Should I be Aware of if I get into a Car Accident?

It is important to know your rights with respect to your car insurance policy. If you are unable to return to work due to your injuries, you are entitled to income replacement benefits (IRBs). Our clinic can help arrange this for you, in coordination with your employer and lawyer, and we offer assistance with the paperwork process. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may also be entitled to help around the house, with duties such as cleaning, laundry, replacing bedding, and assistance with childcare – if needed.

For more information about our Motor Vehicle Accident Rehabilitation services call 647-691-7667